Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Distressed DIY sign

Alright so I've made two of these signs so far and had people ask how to do it so I thought it was easiest to just show you.
Step one: Distress the Crap out of a piece of wood by using a hammer, nails, screws, or whatever you have laying around.
Step two: Paint the wood with some paint one sign I used acrylic paint, the other one i used just wall paint I had sitting in the garage.  You can also water it down for a more mellow look too.
Step three: Sand down the dry painted surface to distress it as little or as much as you would like.
Step four: Get a sharpie and tape ready for the next step
 Step five: Type up what you are wanting your sign to read, and then turn it so it reads backwards, I used Adobe Photo shop.  Then print it out and cut it apart so it sits on the sign how you want it to read.
 Step six: Fill a cup with water and get a paint brush.
 Step seven: Tape down wording ink side down on your wood so it stays put
 Step eight: use the paint brush and brush water on to paper so it is wet and the ink it pretty dark, I did word by word, so not sure how it would work it you did one whole saying at once.
Step nine: take the butt end of the sharpie and rub diagonally both ways on each letter so it transfers over well.
Step ten: take of the paper and your done! If you want your lettering a little darker you can dilute down black paint and paint in the letters as well, I didn't do that on either that I made. 
Completed projects!
Close-up of distressing 



No comments:

Post a Comment